• increase font size
  • Default font size
  • decrease font size

Horrifically injured man crawls from wreckage of car then dies waiting for police who find him FOUR days later

E-mail Print PDF

Soar-Valley-WayA SEVERELY injured man dragged himself from the wreckage of his car... only to die in freezing weather after police failed to spot him until FOUR days later.

Martin Kent suffered severe head wounds, internal bleeding, broken ribs and a fractured jaw after his car left the road.

The 23-year-old, father-of-one managed to escape from his mangled car but his cellphone was not working so he lay there in the cold of a December night, hoping to be rescued.

A lorry driver spotted the wreckage on the Soar Valley Way, near Aylestone, Leicester, UK and called the police.

But officers sent out in freezing temperatures did not leave their vehicle – which meant they could not see the wrecked car or Mr Kent.

His body was only found after his girlfriend carried out her own search and discovered parts of his vehicle by the roadside days later.

At an inquest into Mr Kent's death, a coroner criticised police for failing to look for his body.

The hearing, held at Leicester Town Hall, heard how Mr Kent crashed after drinking up to seven pints of lager at a pub.

Following the initial report from the lorry driver, police sent a patrol to search the road on December 13 but the wreck was not visible from their car so they gave up looking - a decision that was criticised yesterday by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

After being alerted for a second time to the car wreckage (by Mr Kent's girlfriend) a police helicopter was sent to search the area and the car was found at the bottom of a steep bank with Mr Kent's body a few metres away from the car.

It is unclear whether he died from the crash injuries or from exposure while waiting for the police.

PC Michael Hinton, of Leicestershire police's collision investigation unit, said: “Mr Kent remained in the vehicle until it came to rest. A footprint on the roof of the vehicle suggests he extricated himself from the rear of the vehicle.”

Coroner Catherine Mason recorded a verdict of accidental death.

A Leicestershire Police officer, who has not been named, has been disciplined for misconduct following the case.

Read More Related Articles

Add comment

Security code

Social Bookmarking