POLICE today said a woman was lucky to be alive after the public toilet she was in the middle of using exploded without warning.
The public restroom in the Zhejian Province of China was completely destroyed as it blew-up with the woman still inside.
Investigators believe a stray spark from faulty wiring ignited methane gas which had failed to vent properly from a septic tank.
A second woman walking nearby suffered minor injuries in the explosion.
Officers said the blast, which took place at 6am on May 1, could have claimed lives but the streets were empty as it was a public holiday.
The explosion has rocked many areas of China as identical toilets, which were built to replace rudimentary 'hole-in-the-ground' style facilities, are in place in scores of other states.